Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

i have a hamster and the hair shedding. what should i do

Customer Question

i have a hamster and the hair shedding. what should i do?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

The most common reason for a hamster to shed excessive amounts of hair is a condition called 'demodectic mange'- this is caused by a small mite burrowing into the skin- the skin is often itchy and can become scabby, so if this is the case, then a course of injections called 'ivermectin' will be needed from your vets to cure this.

Other possible causes of hairloss are hormonal issues, and also allergies, but parasites, such as the burrowing mite, are by far the most common.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any other treatment besides injection?
Nothing else is available in the US i'm afraid, as the mite burrows quite deeply, so it depends on a 'systemic' treatment to kill it. Some vets will use this treatment as a 'spot on' rather than an injection, as it still gets absorbed into the body via this route- but its really the only drug that works.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is the name of the drug?
Ivermectin- its a drug for cattle/sheep and pigs but is used in very, very small amounts in small animal medicine!
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you and more power
Glad to be of assistance- i hope the little guy is cured soon! Andrea