Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

My budgie has injured her foot or leg, not sure how extensive.

My budgie has injured her foot or leg, not sure how extensive. She's flying and perching as best she can for now. (prety wobbly on the injured foot) There is no discolor to the foot, nor any blood droplets seen. She is not weight-bearing this morning. This seems to have happened last night. What can we do to help her?

Hi there

Unfortunately the only way to get a full assessment of how badly the foot/leg is injured would be with a full clinical examination- however, if this leg is bruised or the foot has been sprained, and nothing is actually broken, then it may respond well to a combination of pain killers and rest.

You can get a good pain killer/anti inflammatory for birds from your vet called 'Metacam' which is excellent for issues like this- the other option is soluble aspirin, dissolve 325mg aspirin in 250mls of water, and allow the bird to have access to this as the drinking water- the anti inflammatory effect of the aspirin may help if this is a bruise or sprain.

If things don't start to improve within a day or so then a vet visit will be required.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Andrea,

I truly appreciate the information you have offered. While waiting for an answer, I took Buddy to the Avian vetrinarian and she received some pain meds as you suggested.

He thinks she may have dislocated the right leg, maybe. He heard a few "pops" while manipulating the joints. X-ray showed no swelling, although a bit of atrophy on the injured leg. She has some internal soft tissue swelling going on. He suggested it might possibly be an egg (non-calcified yet) in her. Her bones are not normal at this time either, which could substantiate egg production, and/or at best a hormone rage. She is resting comfortably in the warmth of her semi-shaded sunspot with food and water available. She had alot of fiestiness in her during the examination. She took to drinking her medication well, also. We'll observe her for the next few days to see what is going on. Again, thank you so much for your help.

I'm so glad that she's had a full exam and that she has the pain meds.

Have they suggested adding some calcium supplementation to her diet due to the abnormality in the bone and the possibility of the non calcified egg??? It may help to add a powdered calcium supplement such as 'Calcivet' or 'Nutrobal' to her feed to give her the extra calcium she needs.

I hope she feels better soon.

Best wishes Andrea