Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My rabbit will not eat or drink. She is extremely dehydrated.

My rabbit will not eat or drink. She is extremely dehydrated. What can I do for her. Im afraid she is dieing. I ccant afford to take her to the vet. She is shaky and very week. When she looks like she is chewing there is a loud griding noise. Jaw might be stiff.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I can give you some first aid measures to take, but unfortunately, your rabbit is going to die without veterinary help.

Before we go on, will you tell me if she has been pooping at all? If she has, are the droppings normal, hard and dry, or runny/mushy?

How old is your rabbit?

When did she last eat?

In what state do you live?

Thank you.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 7/5/2010 at 7:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately we went out of town for the weekend. I made sure she had enough food and water. Im not sure how or if she has had any bowl movement for the past couple of days because her cage allows the droppings to fall. . I am giving her water and I have grinded up some food which she is taking in very very slowly. Her food and water had hardly been touch while we were gone.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I'll give you some first aid steps to take. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind made for human infants). Use a syringe to put some in the side of your rabbit's mouth -not straight down the throat. Give her a few drops, then wait for her to swallow it, and give her some more. For the first hour, give her a syringe of it every ten minutes. After that, give it once per hour.

While you're at the store, also pick up some infants' simethicone. It's a liquid made to help babies with gas in their stomachs. The pharmacist can help you find it. Give your rabbit a syringe-full of that, too. You can't overdose it. then hold your rabbit on her back on your lap, and gently massage her stomach. If she has gas in her stomach that she can't pass, this may help.

Don't try to force any more food. If she isn't passing any droppings, it can be dangerous to force food into her system.

I've raised rabbits for over 30 years, and can tell you that our rabbit has the signs of a condition called gastrointestinal stasis. This is one of the leading causes of death in rabbits, if it is not treated. There could be gas in the stomach that cannot pass or there could be a blockage in the intestines. Here's a site where you can read more about GI stasis and steps you can take:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

The grinding noise that you hear is your rabbit's teeth. They grind their teeth when they are in great pain. I'm going to check on some possibilities to help you see a vet, and will be back with them in just a few minutes. Int he meantime, I wanted to get the first aid measures to you as soon as possible. Will be right back.

Anna

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. The VCA animal hospitals offer a free first exam to new clients. You would still have to pay for any treatment, but the office call would be free. That's usually a significant part of a vet visit. If that much will help you, you can go here to get the coupon for the free visit:

Coupon

Then, on this page, you can enter your zip code or click on your state to find the nearest VCA hospital:

Hospitals

The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), which many vets belong to, has a program of grants to provide qualifying pet owners with financial help. Many vets don't know about it. I suggest that first you check the veterinary listings for your area in the Yellow Pages to see if there are some AAHA members. Then go to the web site and print out the information. You can then call one of the vets to discuss it. Here's the site:

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/

If you don't qualify for a grant, Care Credit is a reputable company that provides low-interest loans for medical needs, including veterinary care. You can apply here:

www.carecredit.com

Here is a list of ideas from the Humane Society for people who can't afford vet care:

Ideas

I hope one of these sources will help you obtain care for your rabbit. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. There's no additional fee for follow-up questions, and there's no need to click on accept again. Thank you for accepting above.

Anna

Edited by Anna on 7/5/2010 at 8:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. Thank you . I did turn her over and start to rub her belly. Her intestines do seem lumpy and hard. I have taken some A&P classes so Im pretty sure ( Not a hundred%) I think she is constipated. She has had hay and pellets in her diet. Is there a way to help with her constipation??
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
The constipation is very likely caused by a blockage. Gviing her the Pedialyte regularly and the massage may help. If there are hardened feces in there, a vet may heve to do an enema or even surgery. But any such treatment is dangerous without taking an x-ray first to determine what exactly is wrong. If there's a blockage, any laxatives, forced feeding, or an enema can be fatal.

anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thank you very much.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. I hope something will work out for you and your rabbit.

Anna