Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My Guinea Pig is breathing heavy - not panting, but her whole

My Guinea Pig is breathing heavy - not panting, but her whole body thrusts when she takes a brth. She's about 4 1/2 years old we think (we adopted her), so can you give any advice or offer any diagnosis??
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease over the internet It is more than possible that Claire has some form of respiratory disease judging from the symptoms you have described such as a mild pneumonia. Often antibiotics are used to treat such conditions as these are prescription drugs you will normally have to get a vet involved, there are no real home remedies by the way.

1. As long as she is otherwise bright, eating and active you would be taking very little risk in just monitoring your guinea pig overnight and then seeing your vet during a normal opening hours at the next opportunity. Of course if Claire deteriorates you can review this decision and see an ER vet sooner. I think this would be very unlikely though.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS