Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

my dwarf robrovski hamster has a large round pink lump on his

my dwarf robrovski hamster has a large round pink lump on his chest, between his front legs, is this a tumour?
He also seemed to be a bit more docile as it was pretty easy for me to pick him up when normally he runs away super fast
Hamsters are subject to all the same lumps and bumps that other mammal get. Tumors and abscesses are both common. Tumors can be either benign or cancerous. Abscesses are more likely to be painful. At age two, Teebo is considered a senior, and older hamsters are especially prone to developing tumors.

It's not an emergency, but you probably should take him to a vet soon. You can't treat abscesses or tumors at home. A vet can drain abscesses and remove tumors. Some benign tumors are simply left alone. With treatment by a good pocket pets vet, there is often a good prognosis for other types of lumps. If you want to read more, here is a site with good information:

The following links will take you to directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password XXXXX well.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your hamster will be fine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only problem is i am low on time and money at the moment and i don't really want to waste money taking him to the vets if it turns out to be nothing, but i don't want to not take him and for him to be in pain.
When i picked him up to look at the lump i tried touching it/pressing it and it didn't seem like he was in any pain,and it felt quite soft, not a hard lump.graphic i am going to include a picture and i hope you don't mind taking a look at it for me.
- i think i have inserted it but im not sure
For some reason, the picture didn't come through. I wouldn't mind looking, but when it comes to lumps, a photo will not really tell us anything. A soft lump may be a lipoma, or fatty tumor. They are benign, and are usually left alone. They can grow large enough to interfere with movement, and then have to be removed.

Because of your hamster's age, this lump may not ever grow large enough to cause a problem during his lifespan. Since it doesn't seem to cause him pain (abscesses are usually painful), you can take a 'wait and see' approach. As long as he's able to move around and continues to eat and drink, he's probably not suffering. If it reaches the point where he doesn't seem to have any quality of life left, it may be time to consider having a vet humanely end his suffering. I know that's a difficult decision, but sometimes it is the kindest thing for our pets. In the meantime, keep him comfortable - a soft bed and his favorite treats, and let him enjoy the remainder of his life.