Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

DO FEMALE GUINEA PIGS HAVE A PERIOD THIS IS THE 2ND TIME IVE

DO FEMALE GUINEA PIGS HAVE A PERIOD? THIS IS THE 2ND TIME I'VE SEEN BLOOD IN HER CAGE, APPROX A MONTH APART? I TURNED HER OVER AND IT IS COMING OUT HER BOTTOM, BUT I'M NOT SURE WHATS WHAT? PLEASE HELP!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

No, guinea pigs do not have a period. Female guinea pigs reach sexual maturity between 4 and 6 weeks of age. Their cycle runs 15 to 17 days. It can even be difficult to tell when they are ready to breed since there is no bleeding or discharge involved. Bleeding from the vagina, urethra, or anus is cause for concern, so regardless of where the blood is coming from, it is a problem. There are several possible causes. The most common one is a urinary tract infection. Because guinea pigs are so low to the ground, it's easy for bacteria to get into their urinary tract. Bladder stones, interstitial cystitis, pyometra (an infection of the uterus), and spinal cord injuries are other possible causes.Here's a site where you can read more about this:

http://www.guinealynx.com/uti.html

(I apologize for a site glitch that won't let me activate links - you'll have to copy and paste it to your browser window.)

Blood from the anus can mean parasites, an infection, tumors, or some other intestinal disorder. Your guinea pig needs to see a vet. None of these health problems can be treated at home. Unless the bleeding is heavy, it's not an emergency that needs to be treated tonight, but do try to get her examined soon. This site has a directory of guinea pig/rabbit vets:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be only a minor condition.

Anna
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HI ANNA,

I CALLED AROUND TO VETS IN MY AREA (AND WE HAVE ALOT WHERE I LIVE)AND IT'S TO LATE TO SEE A VET TONIGHT. THIS HAPPENED ABOUT A MONTH BEFORE. THERE WAS ABOUT A 2 OR 3 INCH AREA IN HER CAGE WERE THERE WAS SOME BLOOD AND SOME CLOTS. AND THAT WAS IT, NO OTHER SPOTTING. SHE WAS JUST HER HAPPY SELF. TODAY I NOTICED LITTLE SPOTS IN HER CAGE, AND ONE CLOT. I PUT HER IN A CLEAN CAGE AND SHE PEED AND I SAW THE BLOOD IN IT. SHE ISN'T ACTING ANY DIFFERENT. IS IT WEIRD THAT THIS HAPPENED BEFORE AND HAS GONE AND COME BACK. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE AVERAGE PRICE FOR THE VET VISIT WOULD BE. WHAT DO YOU THINK THE TREATMENT WILL BE, MEDICINE? WILL SHE DIE A SLOW DEATH IF LEFT UNTREATED? I'M WORRIED.

Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
If the blood is in her urine, you're most likely looking at a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. An infection would be treated with a guinea pig-safe antibiotic. Stones can sometimes be dissolved with medication, and sometimes require surgery. Without treatment, a urinary tract infection can spread to the kidneys, and that can be fatal.

Costs of vet visits vary greatly around the country and even from city to city. They are usually higher on the coasts, and I see that you live in California. A rough estimate would be that an office visit might be between $70 and $150, and treatment would be in addition to that. However, call and ask about fees, because there can be a big difference between vets even in the same city. There is another option, too. The VCA clinics offer a free office call to new clients. then you would only have to pay for treatment. Here is where you can get the coupon:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer/free_promo_google?gclid=CPPtrc_zvaECFaEN5QodUhSsDw

Here is a directory to VCA clinics. there are many in California.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/directory.html?utm_content=link.corp.ffe.locator.

There could be several reasons for the lapse in time between the two episodes of bleeding. An infection can flare up, then calm down. Stones can move around and cause more problems in certain positions in the bladder. Passing a stone or crystals can cause bleeding. There really is no way for us to know what happened without having a veterinary exam. If you ahve more concerns, don't hesitate to ask.

Anna
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANKS ANNA,

BROWNIE, MY GUINEA PIG, STOPPED BLEEDING AFTER I WAS DONE TALKING WITH YOU LAST NIGHT. NOT ONE MORE SPOT AND HER PEE IS CLEAR. SHE'S HER HAPPY SELF. I WILL KEEP AN EYE ON HER THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND INSIGHT.

~VIRGINIA

Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome, Virginia. The fact that you have seen actual clots concerns me. Chances are the problem will surface again. I hope that I'm wrong about that.

Anna

(If you've found this information helpful, please click once on the accept button. Thank you.)