Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My rabbit is pulling fur out and carrying it in her mouth.

My rabbit is pulling fur out and carrying it in her mouth. She is pulling out alot of hair. Got her from the shelter 2 weeks ago and she was just spayed.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

This is nesting behavior. Female rabbits pull out their fur and carry it around to make a nest for their babies. Since she was just spayed, you know she isn't pregnant. Something has triggered her body to believe she's pregnant. This is called a false pregnancy. False pregnancies are very stressful to rabbits. Some even quit eating, which can be dangerous. Uterine infections, and tumors or cysts on the ovaries or other reproductive organs usually trigger such behavior. Since your rabbit no longer has those organs, something else is causing a hormone imbalance. It 's possible she still has hormones circulating in her body from before she was spayed. she may even have been in the early stages of pregnancy. Thyroid and other gland disorders can also cause hormone imbalances. You can read more about false pregnancy here

This isn't an emergency situation, but if the behavior lasts longer than a few days, it would be best to consult your vet to find out if any testing needs to be done. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.