Symptoms in my community aquarium point to mycobacteriosis (tuberculosis?). A local fish store owner told me to use Clout on the remaining healthy-looking baby guppy, and to remove the fish and carbon catridge and treat the aquarium as it stands by pouring Poly-Ox in until water is purple, then wait for water to clear, change water and restock with fish. Everything I've seen says fish TB is very tough to get rid of. Will this course work?
PS - I promise to Never Ever Ever buy livestock from a chain pet store again.
I need to go now, I hope to be able to contact the same expert tomorrow
The recommendations supplied by your local fish store owner are incorrect as Clout is an anti-parasite medicine and Poly-Ox is a slime removing product neither of which are designed to treat TB nor Mycobacteriosis. If implemented, the suggested treatment would be essentially futile.
Fish TB and Mycobacteriosis have know known cure.
If the pet store owner's recommendations were instead given as a suggestion to clean/sterilize the tank in preperation for a new fish stock then once again incorrect advice.
The easiest and most effective way to sterlize a tank is by filling it completely up with water and adding 1 capful of bleach for every 5 gallons of water. Let the mixture sit for 24 hours. The rinse thoroughly making sure to eliminate any and all traces of bleach.
Let the dry tank sit for 24 hours. After that you can safely start up the aquarium again without worrying about prior diseases being carried over.
Listed below is a link, click on it, which will supply you with an overview of fish TB.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
An answer always opens more details.
Is it one capful or one cup full to 5 gallons?
Do I need to tear down the tank and dispose of the gravel, or can I bleach it as it sits? Can bleach harm the power-filter(bio-filter), heater, plastic plants, rocks, tank silicone, etc?
Is it safe to bleach in the same small room with 2 other tanks and a corn snake? My concern is the possibility of bleach fumes in the air affecting the others. The snake is 11 yrs. old and I don't want to risk her health for the sake of some baby fish. After all, She was here first.
How can I disinfect the nets, vacuum, etc. that I use or should I get new equipment for my clean tanks?
Also, I'd like to try to save the very healthy looking baby guppy that is in the sick tank, I want to isolate him in a small acrylic tank. Is he doomed, or after a couple months can he join the others if he still looks ok?
Sorry for being so long winded, but it's been too many years since I had fish as a teen, and I never had a sneaky, transmittable, fatal, incurable, resistant, start from scratch, frustrating, pain in the A** disease before. I REALLLY appreciate your help.
1 capful of bleach per every 5 gallons of water.
It would be best to completely tear down the tank so as to rid it of any and all traces of bacteria. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "Can bleach harm the power-filter(bio-filter)". If you're referring to the biological balance of the water then yes, bleach will eliminate any and all bacteria both good and bad. If you're asking should the actual filter be immersed in bleach then the answer is no. Just clean the filter good. The items that go along with the filter such as the removable filter media holder can be immersed in the bleach solution.
Everything else including the gravel can be immersed/cleaned with the bleach solution without harm. It's safe to use the recommended bleach solution of 1 capful per every 5 gallons of water near the other tanks and corn snake although ideally this should be done in an area that's near a water supply such as a bathtub.
Nets, vacuum can all be disinfected the same way with the bleach solution but using new equipment is also an option as it will make the whole disinfecting process easier.
I can't say for sure if the baby guppy is doomed but I would tend to think so as baby fish have not yet developed a strong immune system and are extremely sensitive to any disease problems which might arise.
I was referring to the actual plastic part of the filter that bacteria builds up on, I didn't know if it would absorb bleach and be unable to grow bacteria again.
After hearing your advice I plan to remove the carbon pad and add the bleach to the tank with the filter still running and unplugged heater in place, let it sit overnight, then swish, drain off water, scrub stuff and rinse with hose in garage. Is that what you meant I do?
You said to let tank sit dry for 24hrs. Do I also need to dry gravel somehow, or just flush it a lot?
I hope this isn't a very common disease. It's really a bummer.
Yes the actual plastic part of the filter should be disinfected too. It should also be rinsed thoroughly after being in the bleach/water mixture and set to dry and then it will be able to have bacteria colonizer on it once again.
Note that bleach does not have a long term life. It evaporates after about 24 hours.
Bleach is a highly effective disinfectant but not a long lasting one. Sunlight will also neutralize bleach.
As for disinfecting, let the bleach/water solution sit in the tank for 24 hours. After the 24 hours completely discard the bleach/water mixture and thoroughly rinse whether it be via a hose or letting running water pass through it the key thing is to eliminate any bleach residue. As a precaution it's best dry the tank with unused paper towels and let sit dry for 24 hours.
It's difficult to dry gravel unless placed under very hot sunlight so it's best to let running water pass through it while mixing it. Do this for about 10 minutes. The way to avoid this work would obviously be to use all new gravel.
OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING