Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

How much Penicillin do you give to a netherland dwarf rabbit

How much Penicillin do you give to a netherland dwarf rabbit with a sneeze and slighty runny nose?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Is the penicillin given by mouth or by injection?

Did a vet prescribe it?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is over the counter Penicillin G. I haven't given her any yeat, I'm wondering how to give it. I was assuming you gave it in the muscle. I just didn't know how much to give.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. First of all, penicillin isn't the drug of choice for respiratory infections in rabbits, but it can be given when injected. Given orally, it is fatal. You are correct that it is given intramuscularly. The amount given depends on the strength of the penicillin and the rabbit's weight. This link will take you to a drug calculator. You can choose the type of penicillin you have from the dropdown menu, and enter your rabbit's weight. The calculator will tell you how much to give.

If this were my rabbit, I would see a vet for some Baytril. It's a much safer antibiotic for rabbits and is more effective against respiratory infections. This link will take you to a directory of rabbit vets:

Because rabbits and antibiotics are a touchy combination, it will be a good idea, regardless of the antibiotic used, to also give the rabbit some probiotics while on the medication. BeneBac is a good brand you can buy in pet stores and some farm supply stores.

Finally, here is a site where you can read more about respiratory infections:

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide, your rabbit will quickly recover.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You so much. Can Baytril and Benebac be given to lacating does?
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
The BeneBac is fine. The Baytril or any other antibiotic can be passed to the babies through the milk. With penicillin, that could well be lethal. Baytril isn't used in young animals because it can cause problems with the joints in growing animals. In baby rabbits, it could also cause diarrhea. With a lactating doe, this whole situation changes. I wouldn't give any antibiotics without consulting a vet. Make sure it's a vet who knows rabbits. Many of those who treat mostly dogs and cats are not familiar with rabbits' sensitivities to antibiotics.

On this page, you'll find a chart that details antibiotics and their uses in rabbits. A vet may be able to prescribe one that will help your doe while posing minimal risk to the babies.

There's no need to click on accept again. Thank you for accepting above. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Anna on 2/12/2010 at 5:48 PM EST