Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

What is the proper dosage of Bactrim for a 25 lb schnauzer

What is the proper dosage of Bactrim for a 25 lb schnauzer ?

I am sorry to hear your girl is having problems.

Blood in the urine and the inability to urinate can be symptoms of not only infection but also bladder stones, kidney stones, or crystals in the urine.

This breed is known to develop bladder stones. If this is the case antibiotics may not work.

Bladder stones can block the urethra making it impossible to pass urine, this can lead to serious and dangerous toxin build up in the blood.

I would recommend having her seen by your vet for a proper diagnosis and medication if needed.

As for the Batrim this is used in dogs but is not normally used for this problem, please know that if she does not drink enough while using this medication she can become become dehydrated causing sulfa crystals to form in the urine which will create additional problems.

Here is information on this drug.

I hope this has been helpful, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much - yes, I am going to take her to the vet - but unless she gets worse I can't make it (due to work) for a couple of days. I will watch her very closely and my roommate is home with her all day today and tomorrow.

Thanks again !!

You are very welcome. Good luck and I wish your girl a speedy recovery.