Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.

my guinea pigs feet are turning black and he walks on his tippy

my guinea pigs feet are turning black and he walks on his tippy toes isnsted of walking normaly. HELP!
Category: Pet
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your little guy is having so much trouble.

What kind of cage is he in? Is he walking on wire mesh?

What kind of bedding are you using?

does he chew at his feet? Are they bleeding?

has he seen a vet yet?

Let me know and I will try to help......

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No hes not in a mesh cadge.

im using sedar shavings

he dosent chew his feet.

no because they tell us the same thing "let him get rest" and its not helping.

Thanks!

Since he is not on mesh, I will opt out so that someone else can help you :) Best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need help with my guinea pig!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry but I need to ask a few more questions.

Which feet are affected?

Is the black on the bottom of his feet?

What is his diet?

Where do you live?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be a place to start.

Dr. G
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both feet are affected

yes his bottom feet are black

he eats carrots, lettuce, timmothy hay.

i live in wisconsin

thanks!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the added info.

From your description, it sounds like he has pododermatitis (aka bumblefoot). This is an infection/inflammation of the bottom of the feet. it can be caused by many factors such as trauma to the feet, being overweight, being on the wrong or dirty bedding. These lesions can become infected and can be quite serious and sometimes hard to treat if the infection is deep and affects the bone.

Right now you have done the correct thing to bandage the feet and keep them clean, however, these usually require long term antibioitc therapy and pain medication in addition to finding out the cause. He needs to be seen by a vet who deals with guinea pigs as they have special requirements for medicine (what is safe as not all meds are safe with gpigs). I would also recommend that he be supplemented with vitamin C as guinea pigs need vitamin C as this is very important for proper health. The vet should may supplement with some, but you can also offer him things like oranges, parsley and red peppers.

If you don't know of vet who sees guinea pigs you can search www.aemv.org or www.rabbit.org for vet listings. (most rabbit vets will see gpigs). There is also the vet school in Madison and they have a well known avian/exotics service.

Here is an article that you may find interesting. See: http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

I hope he gets better soon. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. G
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could this lead to amputation?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Yes,amputation may be necessary in a very, very serious case. This would be one where the bone is infected (osteomyelitis) and treatment wasn't working. This cases can be difficult to treat, but needing amputation is not common.

I would have them examined, then you work out a treatment plan with your veterinarian. Please let me know if you need anything else. I hope he gets better soon.

Dr.G
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one foot has a toe bone showing? will that need amputation
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

If a bone is exposed, then yes, this is more serious and yes, amputation may be a a possiblity. If bone is exposed, he will need aggressive care to get this to heal, if it will heal. The only way for you to know is to have a vet actually see him and exam him. There isn't any other way for you to know,

I wish I could tell you more, but he needs veterinary attention now.

Dr. G
Dr. G., Veterinarian