Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My hamster has wet tail, wet tail drops work, and how often

My hamster has wet tail, wet tail drops work, and how often should we force fluids with a dropper?
Submitted: 7 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Is the hamster one of the dwarf varieties or a Syrian (fancy, teddy bear, golden)?

How long have you been using the wet-tail drops? What is the active ingredient in them? Have you noticed any change in the hamster since beginning them?

What are all the symptoms you're seeing - diarrhea, appetite loss, lethargy, wobbliness, etc.?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hamster is teddy bear

Just started the drops today..put three drops directly in mouth this morning approx 12 hrs ago. Also put the med according to directions on bottle in water bottle, and it's been drinking here n there. When awake it's active...doesn't seem irritable, but has not eaten for prob over 24 hrs, seems wobbly and it's butt is pretty swollen. Also tried to get a few drops of pedialyte. Also has diarrhea..very stinky... The drops i am using are Oasis Wet tail drops..neomycin sulfate equivalent to not less than 20 mg/ml.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The main cause of death from wet-tail is dehydration. Wobbliness is a sign of being dehydrated. What you should do first is give some Pedialyte. Use the syringe to put it in the side of your hamster's mouth. Straight down the throat can lead to aspiration into the lungs. For the first hour, give him a few drops every ten minutes. aftert hat, give him some once per hour. The Pedialyte will rehydrate better than the plain water. Since the hamster hasn't been eating, it may also be suffering from hypoglycemia. Put a drop of maple syrup, Karo syrup, or honey in his mouth once per hour to combat that.

The Wet-tail drops may help in some cases, but that isn't a very effective antibiotic. Neomycin is an older antibiotic and many strains of bacteria have become immune to it. The best thing to do would be to take your hamster to a vet for a prescription antibiotic, such as Baytril. These sites have directories of vet who treat small rodents:

http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list

http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html

The swollen back end means it has been a strain for the hamster to keep passing diarrhea. Eventually, that can lead to a rectal prolapse. There really isn't anything youc an do about that at home. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your hamster will recover.

Anna
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So every hr even thru the night...he's been sleeping...alot...wouldn't waking him up to do this and handeling him cause more stress?????
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I wouldn't do it every hour through the night. Start with the every 10 minutes for an hour. Then wait one hour and gvie him some more. It's important to get him hydrated now, or he isn't likely to live through the night. After this step, if it's your normal bedtime, go ahead and get some sleep. If you wake up in the night, it won't hurt to wake him and give him some Pedialyte, but no, I wouldn't get up every hour.

Anna