Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs experience, 10 yrs on advanced rabbit medicine/surgery

My rabbit has developed watery stools and has taken to cover

My rabbit has developed watery stools and has taken to cover his diet has not changed nor his living environment. Actually not sure it is even watery stools as there are some pellets scattered about. He is eating and drinking but it is obvious he is not feeling well
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.
Hi mex,

can you tell me what the regular diet is?

can you describe the stool? is there soft stool stuck to the rabbit's bottom?

Are the fecal pellets you see smaller than normal?

Let's start here

Edited by Dr. Deb on 11/1/2009 at 7:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he is still eating his usual diet which is fresh organic dandelion greens and some dried pellets, fresh apple, and sunflower seeds commercial rabbit food, he has moved to eat and to defecate and stayed in his usual sleeping location. This morning he was still leaking fluid from his rectal area, and his very hind quarters are wet and he has now moved into another "under the cover area. he is obviously not feeling well, inspite of his good appetite
his abdomen is soft his feces is still pelleted and not that noticably different from usual.
I am living in mexico and today is a holiday and there are no vets available.
I am seriously worried about this little fellow .
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the first thing you need to do is find him some roughage. Is there any chance you could find some hay? Stop the apple and seeds. Just feed the greens and hay if you can find some. Are you sure he is not leaking urine? It comes from almost the same place. If his feces are normal, maybe his intestines are okay but his bladder is the problem?

Rabbits can get urinary infections or stones in their bladder, I have even seen stones in the kidneys. If there is a stone in the bladder, that would cause urine to leak out and it would be uncomfortable and make him feel bad. Sometimes these can be felt in the abdomen, sometimes an x-ray is needed to see them. If he has been getting pelleted feed made from alfalfa, and most of them are, they are high in calcium and can contribute to stone formation.

Rabbits with true diarrhea need treatment. If he is still eating and drinking, that makes me think maybe this is something other than intestinal disease. Whatever the problem, if he isn't feeling well it is always a good idea to increase fiber in the diet. Hay is a very good source and really should be offered daily. Do you have a veterinarian near you with experience treating rabbits? If you can bring him in tomorrow, I would advise this. Let me know if it could possibly be urine and we an discuss this further.