Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior

My rabbit ate two buttons off my remote control last night

My rabbit ate two buttons off my remote control last night and I don't know what to do. Should I take him to the vet asap?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

If your rabbit is currently eating, drinking and eliminating as usual and acting like himself, it's possible he may pass the indigestible buttons, especially if they are thin and small. Monitor his stools and look for the buttons.

If your rabbit is acting lethargic and sick, has no appetite or decreased appetite, and is having trouble making stools/his anus is bulging, he needs to see a vet experienced in treating rabbits, ASAP.

As a precautionary measure, I'd advise a vet visit just to be sure. The vet can do an x-ray to see where in his intestinal tract the buttons are located.

I hope all will be well with your bunny.

Edited by Jessesmom on 10/13/2009 at 6:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's been acting like himself and drinking and eating thank goodness. His stool has been hard so how can I tell if he does pass the buttons? They are in fact small and thin.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to hear he's been acting like himself and is eating and drinking as usual. Because his stool (pellets) are hard, take a plastic knife and cut them apart, to see if the buttons have emerged. Thank goodness they were small and thin! As long as he's not exhibiting any symptoms of distress, that's a good sign. If you begin to notice any change in his behavior, eating, drinking, eliminating, have him evaluated by the vet.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long do they take to pass? If I don't see anything within the next few days, then I guess I have to make a trip to the vet.Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

They can take a few days to pass, if they are able to pass. Your plan sounds like a good one, re: the future vet visit.

Edited by Jessesmom on 10/13/2009 at 6:39 PM EST