Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My pet Rabbit has a lump on his right side

Does the lump feel soft or hard?

Check the left side and see if there's anything in the same location there?

How big is the lump?

Is your rabbit behaving and eating normally?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The lump feels soft and fatty, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all when we touch it. There is nothing on the other side and it is about the size of a golf ball. It seems to move about a little when touched. He is behaving and eating normally and it seems he hasn't noticed it; he isn't licking or gnawing at it.
Thank you for getting back to me. Rabbits are prone to all the same lumps that other animals get - abscesses, tumors - both benign and cancerous, and swollen glands. If this lump appeared suddenly, it is most likely an abscess. If it has been growing slowly, it's more likely to be some type of tumor.

There isn't anything you can do at home to treat this. It's not an emergency, but you should schedule a vet visit for your rabbit next week. If it's an abscess, it will need to be drained and then the rabbit will need prescription antibiotics. Some types of tumors need to be surgically removed, while others, such as lipomas (fatty tumors) can be left alone unless they get big enough to interfere with movement. Here is where you can find a rabbit vet:

It's best to find a rabbit vet because, many times, those who treat mostly dogs and cats are not familiar with rabbit conditions and sensitivities to certain medications. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your rabbit will be fine.