Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

Can an algae eater safetly live in a fish tank with a betta

Can an algae eater safetly live in a fish tank with a betta fish?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

Male Betta fish will fight with another male to the death and even fight with a Female Betta fish, but will not bother other fish of different species in the tank. I have a cory cat and Chinese Algae eater in my Betta tanks with no problems. Bettas will usually ignore other the fish in the tanks. You can even put a Plecostomus in the tank as long as the tank is large enough. Male Bettas can be fin nippers, but will usually do well in a tank with scavenger fish. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything special that I need to do to take care of the algae eater? Or do I just continue taking care of the aquarium as usual-like by changing the water every other week-I have a filter system-feeding the betta, and etc? Can I treat the betta if it gets sick without worrying about the algae eater?
Expert:  Joan replied 4 years ago.

If you have a filter system you should not have to do full water changes. Only part water changes if needed. The algae eater should be fine. They will eat the algae and any of the droppings the Betta does not get. YOu can get some algae pellets if you do not have any algae on the sidesd of the tank to engure the fish has enough to eat. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 30+yrs. Small Animals and Fish