Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

I appreciate your quick response regarding my injured Koi.

Customer Question

I appreciate your quick response regarding my injured Koi. I would like to know when one Koi was biting the Koi what kind of injury could this have caused to cause my Koi to have its head down and body going up and down constantly? It has lived 5 months, but now it is getting worst. I also mentioned around the eye is a large white area sticking out that has appeared and wonder what would cause that. Yesterday I noticed it seems to be having a hard time seeing the sinking food, but wants to eat. Please give me a little more information. I love this fish and am sick. Thank you!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

The bite wounds could have become infected. Abscesses can form and that may appear as a white mass until it breaks. The eye itself can also rupture, and that could be the white area sticking out. There are any number of sores and internal injuries that could result, and it would be impossible for you or I diagnose the injuries. The measures I gave you yesterday are all you can do on your own. However, depending on where you live and how far you would be willing to drive, there are vets who specialize in fish. In California, for example, there are even some who specialize in koi. If you want to try to find a vet, give me your location, and I'll see if I can find any in your area. Seeing a vet would greatly increase your koi's chances of recovering.

There's no need to click on accept again since this is a follow-up to your first question. Just reply with your location, and I'll try to find you a vet.