Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over ten years.

My mixed breed dog is elderly (14 yrs) and is getting diarrhoea

My mixed breed dog is elderly (14 yrs) and is getting diarrhoea on a regular basis. I visited the vet once a couple of months ago and was prescribed Diarsanyl. This seems to work but when I discontinue use the diarrhoea starts again. Is it safe to use this remedy on a continuous basis. My dog gets plenty of exercise and is fit and well apart from now being very deaf.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Schillig replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry to hear that your girl is having these problems.

The short answer to your question is, yes, it is safe to use Diarsanyl continually.

If that is enough to keep her comfortable and control her diarrhea, it is certainly an option for you.

My concern, though, would be whether there is an underlying problem that is causing her to have continual diarrhea. I would suggest having X-rays and blood work run to help rule out major problems.

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig