Roger L. Welton, DVM
Roger L. Welton, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian, Practice Owner, And Book Author

my goldfish has got like a water filled blister on the top

my goldfish has got like a water filled blister on the top of it head and also the top fin is flat against the body. what could be wrong?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 7 years ago.
That "blister" you are seeing could be an abscess, perhaps caused by an injury that got infected. What you should do first and foremost is make certain that the water is clean. The best way to acheieve this, is to have a biological filter apporpiate to the size of the tank, as well as have teh cartridge changedas often as reocmmended. Next, you should empty 20% of the water once monthly, and replaced with fresh, clean water. If you have a gold fish bowl, then 30% o fthe water should be changed once every 2 weeks - but if this is the case, I would switch to a small tank witha biological filter - I have never been a fan of bowls for housing fish.

These measures will help the fish recover rom an infection, as well ad prevent this from happening again.

As far as directly dealing with the infection, you should purchase Maracyn for fish tanks. This is an antibiotic (tetracycline) that can be purchased over the counter and is very effective for most bacterial infections in fish. It is a water additive, with the amount added for treatment based on teh size of the tank. You can find it at most pet stores, aquarium stores, or online by keyword search.