Karen Purcell DVM
Karen Purcell DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  1992 graduate of Cornell University Veterinary School, small mammal interest
14104846

our rabbit is losing fur around its eyes no place else why

our rabbit is losing fur around its eyes no place else why could this be happening and what are the treatment options
Category: Pet
Expert:  Karen Purcell DVM replied 5 years ago.
Customer

What kind of rabbit do you have? How old is it? Male or female? Is he/she neutered? What are you feeding? How long has this been going on? Is he/she rubbing her eyes at all? Does she have tear tracks on her face? Depending on whether this is a primary eye problem vs a skin or dental problem, the treatment will differ.

I should be able to give you some assistance with more information. Thank you for your answers,
Dr. Karen
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
female rabbit not neutered about two weeks since it first started happening uncertain of the exact type of rabbit she always has pellets available but my son gives her alot of carrots and lettuce. she has stopped eating the carrots
Customer

If she is just losing fur without tear tracks or eye drainage, then this is probably a dermatologic problem. While cleaning her hutch is necessary to control her environment, she will also need treatment herself.
If she does have drainage from her eyes, then this is a primary eye infection or secondary to overgrown tooth roots. Given that she has stopped eating carrots, I would be concerned about overgrown molars. This requires a veterinary visit with a rabbit knowledgable veterinarian. You can find one in your area at www.aemv.org. This is the most common reason for changes around a rabbit's eyes.

I hope this helps,
Dr. Karen
Karen Purcell DVM, Veterinarian
Experience: 1992 graduate of Cornell University Veterinary School, small mammal interest