Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...

TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING

Have goldfish in a 200 gallon pond that has a circulating pump.

Have goldfish in a 200 gallon pond that has a circulating pump. I have tested my water at our local pet store and all tests were good. Two of the larger fish( 12 to 13 inches) are not swimming or eating. The 4 smaller fish(5 to 8 inches) are acting normally. Please advise what I can do . Is there something I can add to my pond. Currenlt I am using Amquel.

Thank you
Category: Pet
Expert:  TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO replied 5 years ago.

You wrote "I have tested my water at our local pet store and all tests were good".

What was the water tested for and what were the exact results?

How long has the pond been up and running with fish in it?

The 2 fish in question, aside from not eating and swimming are they showing any other abnormal physical symptoms?

.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pond has been iboperation with fish for 7 years.

These fish do not seem to move their fins on one side and are constantly sucking.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have the exact results but PH,Alkalinity and Nitrayes were all in the normal range for a fresh water pond

Thanks for the information.

As a precaution I would suggest you have the water tested for levels of ammonia and nitrites as the presence of either, in any amount, will cause problems.

From the symptoms you supplied it sounds as if the affected fish are suffering from an internal bacteria.

My recommended treatment plan is:

1) Change 15%-20% of the water.

2) Add pond salt to the water. Follow the directions on the product label for amount to use in pond.

3) Begin to treat the fish/pond with a medicine called TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment, click on link below for a view of the product. It's easily found both in the USA and outside of the USA. Just follow the directions on the product label for dosage instructions. The TetraPond treatment is a wide spectrum medicine that should resolve the problem.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5163+5304+5408&pcatid=5408

.

Experience: OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING