Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

how do i know if my guinea pig is dying or just sick she

how do i know if my guinea pig is dying or just sick? she is approx. 5yrs old and has not drank or ate anything in at least 3 days. she wont "coo" or make any other noises and has not gone to the bathroom.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

You need to try and get some fluilds and food into the Cavy. The first thing I would like you to do is dilute some Vitamin C into some Plain Pedialyte. Use an Eye Dropper to give a few drops at a time into the cavy. At this point dehydration is an enemy. You can dilute the pellets into the plain pedialyte and make a slurry and try and get the slurry in too. This cavy needs to be see by a Pocket Pet Vet asap. What I am giving you is basic first aid and not meant to replace a Vet visit. Give the fluid every 15 mins and get as much fluids into the cavy as possible. The ideal thing if you have some would be Oxbow Critical Care. Joan