Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

My Male Betta water is cloudy and has a white film plus white

My Male Betta water is cloudy and has a white film plus white specks floating in it. I do do water changes every week. I have another male betta that I treat and change the water at the same times and he has no water problems. Why is this happening?

The cloudy water you are seeing is as a result of a bacterial bloom.

The white film and specks I suspect are tiny harmless worms that form as a result of overfeeding.

When you change all of the water natural bacteria begins to form as a result of fish waste and decaying matter in the bowl.

The best way to avoid this problem is to change the water 2-3 times a week and to drastically cut down on the amount of food being fed to the fish. Feed the fish only a small pinch of food once a day.

More frequent water changes combined with less feeding should eliminate the cloudy water, white film, white specks problem. It would also be a good idea to not leave the tank light on too much as this could cause an algae bloom in which you would see green water.

I would also check the decor being used in the tank as sometimes certain decor will leech substances into the water that will cause cloudiness.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

.