Ask TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO Your Own Qu...
TROPICAL FISH  AFICIONADO
TROPICAL FISH AFICIONADO, YOUR TROPICAL FISH RESOURCE
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE W/TROPICAL FISH---BREEDING, MAINTAINING, CURING
1568960

Should I remove the air pump from my tank I have two betta

Should I remove the air pump from my tank? I have two betta females and one male betta. Tammy

Hi Tammy.

Yes it would be best for the bettas to remove any air emitting device from your tank as the less water current and disturbance the water has the better.

Bettas originate from slow moving/none moving water and have the ability to obtain oxygen from the water's surface so the use of an air pump in a betta-only tank is not necessary.

Best wishes and please let me know if you have any questions.

.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As it turns out, I already removed the air pump because I had to get a larger tank. Ignorantly, I had the three bettas in a one gallon tank and learned from my internet searches that each betta should have at least 2.5 gallons, so as of late last night, I transferred them to a 10 gallon tank, which has a filter - the filter causes some current, but not as much as the air pump - is this okay? Also, the poor little things have got red in their fins and eyes, so I started them on antibiotics and antifungal medications last night. One the females has also darkened significantly (it happened the day after I got them home) - is this a dominance thing or a sickness thing? Is it okay to have these two females and one male together - the pet store said it would be okay because the two females would balance out the males. Thank-you so much for your help.Customer

Hi again Tammy and the information you obtained which says that each betta should have at least 2.5 gallons of water is absolutely correct.

Having a filter which causes some current is fine. The main thing to avoid in a betta tank is excessive water movement, current and especially turbulance.

The redness you are seeing on the fish is an indication of an illness called

Hemorrhagic Septicemia which is essentially internal bleeding.

Septicemia is a bacterial disease and as you mentioned that you started the fish on

antibiotics and antifungal medications it's good but make sure the medicines are designed to treat Septicemia. The product label should indicate if so.

A female betta darkening is a sign of a bacteria illness and/or a reaction to stress probably caused by the move/transfer.

Generally it is not advisable to house female betta(s) with male betta(s) in any ratio unless you plan to breed them as the male will beat up and sometimes kill a female during the courting/mating ritual. The only time the mating ritual might not occur is if the fish are young=1 year or less.

Please remember that the best preventative against fish disease is good water quality which can be acheived by doing weekly 25% partial water changes. It also helps bettas to maintain a steady water temperature of 80f degrees.

I'm not sure if your tank is a newly set up one but if it is, you should read the link below regarding tank cycling.

Best of luck with the bettas and please let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

.