Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist
1298761

We purchased 2 male guinea pigs yesterday. They share a cage

We purchased 2 male guinea pigs yesterday. They share a cage which is approx. 2 feet by 4 feet. One appears to be more dominant and is chasing the other around, making it squeal frequently. It chases it out of areas of the cage, and once chased it into then back out of one of their hide-a-ways. Will this work itself out, or do they seem to be incompatible? They have items to chew on and toys to play with. We don't want a terrorized pet or fights to break out. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Gen B. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Unfortunately, you should not have been sold two MALE Guinea Pigs as cage mates. The males of this species are quite territorial and do not live together as adolescents or adults. There is no way to "socialize" males to tolerate each other, since they are genetically programmed to chase away or defeat competitors in their territories. Two females may co-habit peacefully in this amount of space, but not two males.

Excessive dominance can indeed lead to physical violence and/or starvation of the weaker "brother".

It is best to separate these fellows ASAP and put together a second enclosure.

If you need additional support at this time, please click "Reply", otherwise I thank you in advance for your "Accept" and appreciate your concern!

Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience: Dog, Guinea Pig, Hamster, Gerbil breeder / Reptile Keeper / Bunny-Ferret-Exotic Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I've read that guinea pigs are happier with a companion as they are social animals. Will they be happy living alone in their own cages?
Expert:  Gen B. replied 5 years ago.
Great thought!

In their "natural" state, males only socialize with females and their own youngsters.

Females are genetically suited to get along with many other females in their family tribe, and their "nieces" and "nephews".

As pets, Guinea Pigs will bond quite strongly to their human caregivers, regardless of gender (somehow male GPs understand that we are "different"!). As long as you are providing periods of interaction and communion for each pet they will fare quite well and not feel at all lonely.

This species is also smart enough to learn names, times of day, etc..

Guinea Pigs are diurnal...that is, they are awake and active during the day and sleep at night. Try to give them your company before the dark night hours.

Let me know if there's anything else on your heart!

Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician