VetGurl1970, Vet Tech & Practice Mngr since 1990
Experience:  18+ yrs Animal Hosp. Experience-Medicine, Behavior, Training, Grief Counseling, Squirrel Rehab

I need to find out how to get a ticks head out from under

I need to find out how to get a tick's head out from under the skin of my dog. I have cleared away some hair to expose the area but the tick head is still under there.
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Pet
Expert:  VetGurl1970 replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for your question. Ticks dont actually burrow under the skin. They usually just attach themselves to the dog with their head partially imbedded. In cases like this, the dog's body will mount its own defense and form a lump around the area to help push the head out on its own. Directly applying rubbing alcohol is recommended before and after removal. Sometimes a lump will form at the bite site even if the tick head was removed or not. I recommend keeping an eye on it for a few days to make sure it resolves itself. If you feel it hasn't, you can have it examined by your vet and he or she can remove it easily. I hope this information helps you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you!