Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

My rabbit does not seem to be able to move and just sits t

My rabbit does not seem to be able to move and just sits there
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Does your rabbit seem to be having trouble with its back legs?

Is his head tilted to one side?

Do you see any swelling anywhere on the body?

Do you know what kind of rabbit this is? If not, how big is he - under 5 lbs., 5 to 8 lbs., or over 8 lbs.?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does not want to move back legs, has been to a vet, legs do move when you put him down but he will just hop and it seems to be painful.

Head is not tilted to one side.

No swelling

Rabbbit is 6-1/2 years old, weighs about 15 pounds, white, domestic

Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. What did the vet tell you? Were any x-rays taken?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Xrays were taken, and shows arthritis, white spot on lower back may be arthritis

Rabbit justs sits there, seldom moves.

Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Painful arthritis will keep a rabbit from wanting to move very much. There is probably not anything other than that wrong with your rabbit. Arthritis can be treated with Rimadyl and/or glucosamine supplementation. Liquid glucosamine supplements work best in rabbits. You don't need a prescription for them. They can be given to the rabbit through a syringe placed int he side of the mouth - not straight down the throat, as that can lead to aspiration into the lungs. Glucosamine takes awhile to help because it has to build up in the body first. It must be given every day. Here is an online source for a good liquid glucosamine:

Rimadyl is a prescription pain relief medication. It works immediately to stop pain. Like most drugs, there are risks of side-effects, but it can be very effective in relieving the pain of arthritis. If you wantt o try it, you'll need to see your vet. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to quickly find some relief for your rabbit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you!