DrAmyH, Veterinarian
Experience:  9yrs vet care. Small animal medicine, dentistry, behavior, surgery

My hamster wont open its eyes and it is shaking. What can

My hamster won't open its eyes and it is shaking. What can I do? I tried to give him a treat but he did not eat it.
Category: Pet
Expert:  DrAmyH replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am sorry your hamster is not doing well.

I am concerned, as I am sure you are, that he is not eating. It sounds like he is hiding some and not as active as well.

There are a couple possiblities as to what is going on. He may have overgrown teeth that make it diffucult to chew. Hamster teeth continue to grow throughout their lives. If they don't keep them trimmed down by chewing it can lead to difficulty eating.

I worry that the reason his eyes are closed and he is shaking is that he may be in pain. Pain could also be related to his mouth. Other possibilities could be internal pain. Unfortunately, 2 years is considered old for a hamster. He could have an internal growth that is preventing him from wanting to eat and is painful.

My own hamster had similar symptoms. I had the luxury of being able to examine him at home and I found that he had a liver tumor. It happened very fast because the week prior I did the same exam and found nothing.

Usually hamsters are really good at hiding illness. Therefore, if he is acting sick he is probably very ill. If you have a vet in your area that sees hamsters I would take him in if you can. They can tell if is teeth are ok or if anthing else is wrong. Not all vets see hamsters so if you would like me to find one who does in your area I would just need your city/state.

You could try feeding him hamster pellets softened with water or vegetable baby foods like carrots, peas, apple (fruit baby food).

Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns. I am here to help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you recommend a vet in Fairfield, CT?