Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

We have a male mini rex rabbit that is shedding profusly there

We have a male mini rex rabbit that is shedding profusly there are no sores or crusty spots just massive shedding is this normal or should we take him to the local vet? he is about 1 year old ( 10 months ) and seems to be in good health other wise. He is eating and drinking ok.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

This sounds like it may be normal shedding. To be certain, check the condition of the skin. If it looks healthy and normal, the shedding isn't a problem. If it's very flaky - like a bad case of dandruff - you may be dealing with fur mites. They would need to be treated by a vet. You can read all about normal and abnormal fur loss at this site:

Rabbits do shed large amounts of fur, so if everything else seems normal, I wouldn't worry. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You