Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Can dogs eat sauerkraut Im making my own for probiotic health.

Can dogs eat sauerkraut? I'm making my own for probiotic health. I've been giving my dogs and oz. of activa a day. can i also give them sauerkraut?
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : There is nothing toxic to dogs in sauerkraut so there is no reason why you should not give it as a supplement.

Of course it should not be major part of your dog's daily diet just fed in small amounts.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I've added the full recipe for my kraut. Would this be ok? and sure it would only be a small bit.
Hello again,

To be safe you should cut out the onions and garlic as in certain circumstances they can be toxic to dogs but usually large amounts would be required to do this, but better safe than sorry.

Otherwise your recipe seems fine,