Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years

my yorkie keeps licking her nose and it is causing her to throw

Customer Question

my yorkie keeps licking her nose and it is causing her to throw up. i tried to look in her mouth and feel around but dont see anything. when she does throw up though, she makes the throw up sound like its traveling up her throat n then it sounds like she has problem breathing because she starts wheezing. what should i do. the wheezing only last a few second. thanks.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
When a dog is trying to vomit it is best not to interfere as this can result in aspiration of the vomitus into the lungs which is a very serious issue. She is licking her nose because she is nauseated and either hypersalivating or having increased discharge from the nose as a result of being nauseated. If this is a continuous issue then I suggest taking her into the vet right away for an exam and testing to rule out underlying illness like kidney disease, liver issues, intestinal obstruction, and parasites. Otherwise you can give her 1/2 pepcid to help control her upset stomach and decrease the acids in her stomach. Many smaller dogs tend to vomit in the mornings when they haven't had anything to eat in several hours. If this might be your dogs case then I do suggest increasing the number of times that she is fed to avoid this issue in the future.

If she continues to vomit I do have to suggest taking her in to be seen because there are numerous issues that can be causing these symptoms some of which can be very serious.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its not an everyday thing, she plays and eat normally. all of these symptoms has only been recently.. about a week and half ago, she got really sick and was vomitting pretty bad and i did take her to the vet and was given meds and antibotics to help with the vomitting and she has since stops.. but ever since then it seems she started licking her nose but shes not dehydrated bc most of the time she wont take any water... and i dont see any discharge from her nose. on top of her being sick she also has bladder stones now... but we are currently treating it to dissolve the stones... so i dont know if that has any correlation to it.
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
Sure if she has bladder stones then she could potentially be painful or even have developed yet another infection. It is rare for diet or medication to be able to dissolve stones well enough and surgery is ultimately going to be needed. Nose licking will not cause her to vomit though. It is possible that she is licking more as a result of hair being caught in her mouth, nausea, or even tooth or sinus issues.

You could still try the pepcid to see if this helps. I would be sure to have a urine sample rechecked for infection 2 weeks from her last visit.

Theresa
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what kind of pepcid should i give her? is it possible that she has something stuck in her nose? causing her to get the wheezing sound like she having problem breathing? also how would i get rid of the hair that might be stuck?