Dr. DesChene Brochtrup
Dr. DesChene Brochtrup, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 Years of veterinary practice- including exotics, horses, & emergency med.

my dogs ear is red and she keeps scratching it and shaking

my dogs ear is red and she keeps scratching it and shaking her head.
This sounds like it could be an ear infection. - Other signs of an ear infection may include any or all of the following - red pinna (floppy part of the ear), yeasty or fowl smell, brown or yellow waxy or watery debris in the ear canal. If you think she has an ear infection - she needs to see a vet and have them swab the ear. The swab will tell them what kind of infection she has, so they can get you some medication to treat it.
She is scratching at the ear because infections itch and can be painful.
If she doesn't have any of the other signs of an ear infection, it can still be one, you may have just caught it early or she might have gotten something in or on the ear thats irritating it.
You can try looking at and into the ear, to make sure she didn't get anything in it. Like a bug bite, or water or grass piece down in the ear. (The vet can remove something if she got it in there and you can't easily grab it to remove it - don't stick anything in the ear).
Here is a web page that covers ear infections in general - it will have more information that may be helpful.
I hope you puppy feels better soon. let me know if you need more help.