Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience:  Veterinary Technician for 15 years

My puppy is not eating or drinking and has been lethargic all

My puppy is not eating or drinking and has been lethargic all day. We have no other animals but he has been in the backyard a lot and is usually very hyper. Can you help?
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
<p>How old is your pup?</p><p> </p><p>What color are his gums?</p><p> </p><p>Is there vomiting or diarrhea?</p><p> </p><p>Can you get a rectal temperature?</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
His gums are pink. He is approx. 6 months old and there is neither vomiting or diarrhea. He does feel really hot though.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

temp is 101.5

Expert:  Theresa replied 5 years ago.
You really need to get a temperature. Since he isn't eating you can't give him anything orally as this could tear up his stomach. You can use a regular thermometer and take a rectal temperature just be sure to label it for the dog in the future. If his temperature is over 103 then don't wrap him up in blankets. He most likely has a fever from infection and externally cooling is not necessary as this means his body is doing right by fighting infection. I would be sure that you continue to get food into him though. I also suggest rubbing some karo syrup on his gums to help bring up his blood sugar as this may have dropped as a result of his not eating. If the blood sugar is the issue then he should start to turn around after a couple treatments 5 minutes apart. His body will feel warmer because a dogs temperature is hotter then ours. Normal temperature for dogs is 100-102.5F which is up to 4-5 degrees higher than our own. Just don't wrap him up in a towel because this will only make him hotter and more uncomfortable. There could be numerous possible causes like kennel cough, upper respiratory infection, gastrointestinal viral infection, etc. If there is any medication he could have gotten into or rat poison, etc then I suggest taking him into the vet for evaluation. If he is no better by morning I would take him into your regular vet for evaluation. Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Since you added additional information I will respond below. His temperature is normal and there is no need for medications at this time. Continue with your feedings and if he is no better then take him into the vet by morning.

Theresa
Theresa, Voice for your pet
Experience: Veterinary Technician for 15 years