Dr. Margo
Dr. Margo, Veterinarian
Experience:  12yrs in mixed animal practice

stuffy..eyes are sealing shut, inactivity, coughing..walking..wobbly

Our HamsterCustomeris stuffy, eyes are sealing shut, inactivity, coughing with a squeaking noise and his walking seems wobbly. these symptoms just presented themselves today. I plan to take him to the vet tommorrow. Also my husband has strep throat. What can I do for him tonight and will tomorrow be soon enough for him to be seen?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

Did he eat/drink normally today?

What temperature do you think his cage/room where his cage is is at right now?

Dr. M

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't believe he has eaten or drank inthe past 6 hours. We just tried to give him water now but he wouldn't take it. It is about 69 degrees in the room and he has a blanket around the outside of his cage.
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

If you have a heating pad I would put it under one end of the cage, so that if he wants more heat he can move to one side of the cage. A heat lamp may heat the whole cage and it is harder for him to move away from the heat. He probably will not dehydrate in the next 12hrs before he is seen by your vet but I would keep offering him water with the dropper until you go to your veterinarian tomorrow.

Also if you have a humidifier you could set it up in the room where he is. It could help his breathing. With these little guys any added stress should be avoided. No extra handling, keep it dark in his room. Make sure he has access to his food and water. Get him to your veterinarian first thing tomorrow.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Dr. M

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would a liquid echincea/astragalus herbal supplement be appropriate? I use it for my children but I only have maybe a couple little drops left.
Expert:  Dr. Margo replied 7 years ago.

I don't even know if that remedy has even been tried in a hamster. So to be on the safe side I wouldn't use it. I don't believe there are any published guidelines for dosage.

Dr. M