Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My guinea pig seems to have diarrhea. I noticed when I cleaned

My guinea pig seems to have diarrhea. I noticed when I cleaned out his cage that he doesn't seem to have much solid waste. He seems to like his old food better and is not eating his new food - Just greens.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Age: 2; Male; Breed: guinea pig

Already Tried:
He has been eating well - at least the greens. He isn't drinking a lot but he's completely lively. When I give him greens, timothy cubes or his old food (which I did today) he eats very well. We haven't been seeing very much solid waste.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

What's the reason you think the guinea pig has diarrhea - are the few stools he's passing runny or mushy?

What is the brand of the old food you were using? How about the new one?

Thank you for the additional information.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He was eating Animal Planet - "gourmet" and I switched him to Oxbow "Cavy cuisine". He really wasn't eating his food nor drinking much water. I decided to give him really water saturated lettuce in hopes he would take in more fluid. He seems really very active and vocal although he appears to have lost some weight.
Today I decided to give him the Animal Planet again and he's eating it like crazy! He never at like the Oxbow like this before. I thought maybe we should give him some water via syringe?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not mention that we had another guinea pig that died approximately 2 months ago from an respiratory infection. The two guinea pigs were kept separately especially when it was realized that Nibbles (the one who may be sick now) was jumping all over Cavalyno and frightening him.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay. I've been trying to find the ingredients in the Animal Planet food online, with no luck. Would you mind checking the package? I need to know if it has grains, such as corn or oats, seeds of any kind, and dried fruit of any kind in it. Thank you.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

I was finally able to find ingredients for Kay-Tee gourmet guinea pig pellets, and that's the company that makes Animal Planet. If the ingredients are similar, there is corn, fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds, and some other bad ingredients. These things aren't good for guinea pigs, and eventually will lead to health problems. Oxbow makes a high-quality pellet. The problem is that the ingredients that aren't so good for guinea pigs do taste very good. Just like children who would rather eat dessert than vegetables, guinea pigs prefer those ingredients. This site has information on choosing a good pellet:

http://www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html

I don't think your guinea pig is sick at this point, though he will be if this continues. I suspect that the reason you aren't seeing many droppings is because he's not eating enough of the foods that produce them. Greens are mostly water. What I would do is start by buying him some timothy hay - not cubes, but an actual bag of hay. Put some in his cage and let him eat all he wants. That should get his digestive system moving again. Always keep hay in his cage so he can eat all he wants. Continue to feed your guinea pig greens, and, you were on the right track when you rinsed them and left the rinse water clinging to them. Keep doing that. You can also feed him produce such as peppers, a strawberry, part of an orange, a piece of tomato, etc. You can read about the best produce and how to provide the best possible diet here:

I don't your guinea pig is sick at this point, though he will be if this continues. I suspect that the reason you aren't seeing many droppings is because he's not eating enough of the foods that produce them. Greens are mostly water. What I would do is start by buying him some timothy hay - not cubes, but an actual bag of hay. Put some in his cage and let him eat all he wants. That should get his digestive system moving again. Always keep hay in his cage so he can eat all he wants. Continue to feed your guinea pig greens, and you were on the right track when you rinsed them and left the rinse water clinging to them. Keep doing that. You can also feed him produce such as peppers, a strawberry, part of an orange, a piece of tomato, etc.   

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

You should also leave out a bowl of the Oxbow pellets. As long as the guinea pig eats plenty of hay and produce, don't be too worried if he doesn't eat the pellets right away. If he continues to,lose weight after he's eating the hay, or if he won't eat the hay at all, there may be something else going on. Perhaps there's a dental problem, a metabolic disorder, a tumor, or digestive condition. In that case, you'll need to see a vet. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. We will try to wean him off of the "Animal Planet" food. We were told it wasn't healthy, and decided to stop giving it to him. He however,   just stopped eating and wouldn't eat the Oxbow. I will buy some hay tomorrow. He did eat the old food today (less healthy alternative) and is now producing normal looking droppings. I will try not to give him anymore but it is difficult when he refuses to eat other food. I think all the greens and no pellets gave him a touch of diarrhea.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Dorothy
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome, Dorothy. You're probably right about the greens giving him diarrhea. If he will eat the hay, that should take care of that problem. Good luck getting his food switched.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click once on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.