J E Harrison
J E Harrison, Veterinarian
Experience:  UK small animal vet and acupuncturist with an interest in rabbits,geriatric patients and surgery.
7313698

I believe my ferret broke his back overnight last night in

Customer Question

I believe my ferret broke his back overnight last night in his cage. It is 5 feet tall with shelves and I think he must have dropped and landed incorrectly. He is looking better than he was this morning but what should be done? I have been giving him water through a straw like a dropper but what about food and pain maintence? Any other suggestions such as stabilization methods, etc. Right now he is not moving anything but his neck and head and very seldom. It is usually a reaction to my voice. He is twitching, his feet and legs are electric red, and he has urininated himself. Please help, thank you!!!!
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 2; Male; Breed: Ferret

Already Tried:
I removed from cage floor and wrapped him in a blanket. I had him out and was hand feeding him water through a straw like a dropper. He is alert, barely, but definitely reacts to my voice.
Expert:  J E Harrison replied 8 years ago.

Without a doubt, you need to get the ferret to a vet immediately, it is not fair to leave him in this condition. If he has broken his back, this is something that he will not recover from, and he really needs to be euthanased, as technically his body can carry on living, but he will be in serious pain and discomfort.

If he has suffered bruising and inflammation then your vet may discuss trying treatment such as anti-inflammatories, painkillers etc. but this should only be undertaken with the supervision of a vet to be sure that it is humane to continue.

I'm sorry to be negative, but this is absolutely not something that can be treated at home.

Good luck,

Jen