Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.

my rabbit has a wart , is it harmful

my rabbit has a wart , is it harmful?
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 2; Female; Breed: rabbit
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question. In order to best help you, I need to ask a few questions.

Can you describe it in a bit more detail - where located, how big, what color, smooth, rough etc.

Also, if possible, a picture would be helpful. You can use the tree icon on the tool bar.

Thanks, XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its a wart type spot on her chest , its pink with dry skin around it , not very big.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
Hi naomi,

Thanks for the update.

Warts are not that common in rabbits, but there is a virus (Papilloma virus) that can cause wart-like lesions in rabbits. It is more common in wild rabbits, but could affect a domestic rabbit. If this is the case, the often go away, but in some cases, they can worsen or rarely, become a skin cancer.

If you live in California or Oregon, there is a condition called myxomatosis which is spread from insects bites. Some rabbits will form a nodule where the insect bites them. However, most animals with this condition are very sick with other signs, so this would be less likely.

Rabbits also get skin abscesses commonly, but this would be a nodule or mass under her skin so again, this does not sound like what is going on. The area might also be painful, warm to the touch or with discharge over the area.

So, from your description, it sounds like it is mostly likely the papilloma. Since I am unable to diagnose her online, having a good hands on exam is the best. In rabbits, things can change quickly so it it does need to be monitored closely. If you do not have a vet, you can go to or Both of these sites have vet look up areas.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. G