How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LennyDVM Your Own Question
LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Category: Pet
Satisfied Customers: 548
Experience:  30 years in various aspects of veterinary medicine including private practice, teaching and research
Type Your Pet Question Here...
LennyDVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are glow sticks toxic to cats My cat bit one and had a small

Resolved Question:

Are glow sticks toxic to cats? My cat bit one and had a small amount o glow on his chin. We wiped it out and rinsed his mouth.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pet
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

The following is taken from the ASPCA Animal Poison Control website.


The active ingredient in glow sticks, dibutyl phthalate, is not very toxic. It can cause some alarming signs such as drooling, hyperactivity, agitation and possibly aggressive behavior. Generally, the signs are caused by the bad taste of the liquid and last only a few minutes after biting into the stick.


Treatment is aimed at diluting the taste by offering water, a small amount of milk, tuna water, chicken broth, canned food, etc. Liquid on the skin or fur can be washed off with soap or shampoo and water. This helps avoid further glow fluid from being eaten when the cat licks itself.


Let me know if you have follow up questions.

LennyDVM and 2 other Pet Specialists are ready to help you

Related Pet Questions