Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is there a humane way to put a dog to sleep with out taking

Is there a humane way to put a dog to sleep with out taking him to the vet's office
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : The only humane method you could use to put your dog to sleep without taking him to a vet's office would be to shoot the dog straight through the brain. I know of course that this method would be distasteful to a great many people so please excuse me for my bluntness. Other than that there is not much you can do on your own.

I have been asked this question a few times in my life and most people are thinking in terms of a drug or a poison. The very powerful poisons are under strict prescribing control so you would not be able to obtain any by normal means and I am not convinced that you would be certain they would bring about a peaceful pain and stress free euthanasia.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS