AthenaRVT
AthenaRVT, RVT, licensed in the state of Ca
Experience:  AS Degree, ER Nurse, Orthopedic Nurse, 10 Years Clinical Experience, Extensive Reptile Experience
7837570

Why does my hamster occasionally cry in his sleep

Why does my hamster occasionally cry in his sleep?
Category: Pet
Expert:  AthenaRVT replied 6 years ago.
What does the crying sound like?

How long have you had him?

When he is crying is his body moving or twitching at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
His noises are not screaming or squeaks its a lot lower (for a hamster I guess) kind of like growling.I 've only had him for almost 3 weeks. (he has grown a little already, he is young). The time he was not in his hut, and I saw him doing this he was putting his rear foor in his mouth several times and then using it to scratch about where his scent glands are! Sometimes when they are waking up they still look sleeping I guess... I don't know. He screams if you touch him, maybe he's really vocal (and very shy). I just never had a hamster make noises unless it was in pain. (and that was a squeak).
Expert:  AthenaRVT replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like he is still getting used to his new home. I have had several hamsters in the past and some are more vocal than other. I did have one that would do a similar throaty noise ...it seemed more of right before he fell asleep...he would be laying there curled up then make the noises. I finally attributed it to nightmares. He didn't do it as much when he got older but he still did it occasionally. I think he just needs more time to get used to his new environment.

Usually when a hamster is sick they are more quiet than vocal. So just keep an eye on him...give him some time and I think he will adjust to you and the new home.
Experience: AS Degree, ER Nurse, Orthopedic Nurse, 10 Years Clinical Experience, Extensive Reptile Experience