Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish

My hamster seems to be walking funny and keeps falling over

My hamster seems to be walking funny and keeps falling over I don't know if her nails are too long or there is something wrong with her leg i don't know if i should bring her to the vet or not. What should I do????
Category: Pet
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

At two years old a Hamster has become a senior citizen. The problem that you are seeing may be a problem with a Vestibular disorder (this effects the inner ear and causes problems with walking), or some type of neurological problem. Older hamsters are prone to strokes. Make sure the hamster is eating and drinking. You can offer some Pedilyte in the water or feed with an eye dropper. I do feel it is waise for your hamster to see the Vet for a hands on exam to properly diagnose the problem. Joan