Candy W.
Candy W., Veterinarian
Experience:  7+ years in general veterinary medicine

my 12 year old dog, is losing hair off his back, it seems to

my 12 year old dog, is losing hair off his back, it seems to itch a lot, and rubs it until he bleeds, there are also a lot of scales in his coat.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy W. replied 5 years ago.

can you take a picture?

what breed of dog is it?

does he have fleas? Outside dog?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a picture : cannot download pictures

Breed of dog ; Newfoundland Labrador/ Retriever cross

Does he have fleas ; NO

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

May I add, that he is pulling his coat out from different parts of his body

Expert:  Candy W. replied 5 years ago.

hiCustomer

It sounds like he could be having an allergy, skin infection or even mange or a combination of things.

If there is an obvious odor, then there is definitely an infection. Most infections are secondary to something else, but need to be treated at the same time. There are bacterial and fungal infections, sometimes you can look at the skin and get a better understanding for which kind of infection.

Mange is caused by a mite. There is one kind that is contagious and one kind that is not, it is more an immune system problem. A skin scrape will help to rule out these. They both cause hair loss and reddened skin.

Allergies can be diagnosed by a history of itching every year at this time, getting worse over the years and ruling out other causes.

The best thing would be a veterinary exam. There are too many different things that can go on with the skin that cause itching and reddness to tell you an exact cause. There is a dip called LimeDip. It is very stinky and stains jewelry and concrete yellow, but it helps with mange and skin infections. But you have to bathe and then dip him every 3 to 4 days for a month.

Hope that information is helpful. Skin problems can be very frustrating.

Dr. Candy

Candy W., Veterinarian
Experience: 7+ years in general veterinary medicine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did suspect mange, and it probably is, we have a lot of foxes in our area, and when he goes for walks, could it be caught off long grass, as it seems to be his favourite places.

As for bathing in the lime dip, could be awkward, he owing to weak back legs, cannot get upstairs to our bath, any other way to do it ?????.

Expert:  Candy W. replied 5 years ago.

Mange is usually dog to dog contact, but the mite can live for short periods off the dog and in the environment. Usually more dogs laying in the same area, but still possible.

Trust me, you want to do the lime dip outside!!! Get a kiddie swimming pool and the hose. You do not want that smell in your house. Bathe him well first with a dog shampoo and mix the dip according to directions (like 4oz of dip to 1 gallon of water) then sponge the dip on him and try to soak his entire body and do not rinse off. Let him dry outside. Then repeat frequently.

Good luck,

Dr. Candy