Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.

I have a 2.5 month old lion face rabbit

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 month old lion face rabbit (Dillon)and my son fell on him and he would not really move then, now he is limping and not really moving. He has not lost his appetite but I am very worried his leg is broken. Please help!
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

I'm afraid that if your rabbit has a broken leg, there isn't anything you can do at home to help him. Worse yet, being fallen on (even by a small child) can easily lead to internal injuries. You're wise to leave Dillon alone. Be sure to place a shallow bowl of water where he can reach it. The best thing to do is to take him to a rabbit-savvy vet as soon as you can. This link will take you to a directory of such vets:

Other than letting your rabbit rest and being sure he can reach his food and water, you can't do anything else to help him. I do recommend taking him to a vet. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on rEPLY. I hope Dillon will reach a full recovery.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just made a few phone calls and I dont have $200.00 this week to shell out on a Vet bill, are there any visible signs of internal injuries that i may be able to spot? The visit is $50.00 the x rays are $150.00 that was a shock! Would there be anything i can give for pain? Thank you so much my daughter has a smile for the first time today.
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.

Signs of internal injury can include pale or blue-colored gums, swelling, bleeding from nose, ears, or rectum, blood in droppings or urine (note that rabbits can have red urine normally due to diet), weakness, lethargy, and coma.

It sounds like you need some financial help. The following organizations offer that. Many offer to actually pay vet bills for qualifying people, while others have low-interest loans. Care Credit is usually the easiest to obtain help from, and it is a reputable company. The AAHA requires the vet to request help for you and is another good prospect.

American Animal Hospital Association

Angels 4 Animals

Care Credit

God's Creatures Ministry

The Pet Fund

United Animal Nations

This site has links to more groups, but does include some of the above:

Here is a list of ideas for people who can't afford vet care:

I hope you can find what you need. If you have further questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.