J E Harrison
J E Harrison, Veterinarian
Experience:  UK small animal vet and acupuncturist with an interest in rabbits,geriatric patients and surgery.
7313698

What is a safe OTC antidiarrheal medicine for cats

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  J E Harrison replied 8 years ago.

Probably the safest med you can use over the counter is one containig kaolin and pectin - this is a binding agent and not a antibiotic. However any medication should really only be administered under the supervision of a vet so it would b worth callling your vet to check that this is suitable for the individual animal.

There is a product available called kapectolin or kao-spen. There used to be one called kaopectatae which is now NOT safe for use in cats du to and ingredient change.

These produts can be given at a dose of one to two teaspoons per 10lb of cat every frou to six hours, orally. You could also combine this with a bland food diet of plain chicken and bolied rice to try to ease the diarrhoea. If there is no resolution within a few days or your cat shows any other signs of ill health, Take her to the vet.

I hope this helps,

Jen

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Jen! I'll give this a try and if the problem is still with us after 48 hours, I'll take her to the vet