Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Full time practicing companion and exotic animal veterinarian

My cat has a hole in her neck, it started small last week ...

My cat has a hole in her neck, it started small last week and is trying to get a scab on it but looks like it is getting larger. It smells really bad. I have been putting neosporin on it and periodically cleaning with peroxide. I have a piece of cloth covering it to keep her from trying to lick it, which she really can''t reach due to its location so close up on her neck close to where our adam''s apple would be. Could it be a worbel-worm? When we first noticed it she was vomiting a lot and then hid under our bed for 1.5 days. She seems to feel fine, eats and uses the litter box. She is an inside/outside cat. Can you help?

It does sound like a "wolf worm" or cuterebrae larvae. They commonly burrow a hole in the neck of cats. You need to carefully observe to see if there is a worm in the hole and you can put some small tweezers down in there to see if you can grab anything. If it is already burrowed out you won't find it and you can continue doing what you are doing with keeping it clean and the neosporin.

Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Debbie's Post: The small hole we first observed is closed up with and now has a scab starting to form, that is why I put the material/scarf around her neck so it would dry up and scab over. It is about the size of a nickle now and looks like it is trying to ooze a little bit around the bottom edge, probably where she was licking it so much. Do I keep washing it with peroxide before the neosporin ointment?

You need to put a warm compress on it for about 5 minutes and then remove the scab so that any infection can come out. If you see pus then you will need your vet to give your cat an antibiotic to take by mouth.