Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Animal Healthcare expert
Experience:  Expert in pet health and behavior. 20 year experience with animals.
437368

my dog has completely hollow nails on all four feet.

my dog has completely hollow nails on all four feet. This is resulting in soil and other things getting into the nail beds and causing infection. She has been to the vets 8 times in the past year with septic paw pads on three different feet. Obviously this is proving very painful for her and the only effective preventative treatment has been to cut all of her nails very short. The problem with this is that she has become terrified of the vets and will not stay in a position where the clipping can be done successfully. we have now used five different vets and the situation is becoming very difficult. It has been suggested that we have her de-clawed but i''m worried that this would be a long, drawn out procedure and major surgery. Can anyone tell me if this is a good option and what it would involve, or if not, what other options there are. Thanks.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry you are having such a problem. It is definitely unique.

The only option is to get your dog declawed like a cat because even if you were to keep booties on her she would still get these infections.She could even develope gangrene and lose a foot or worse if this continues.

It is not fair to her to keep subjecting her to these painful and traumaic clippings At least she will be anestethized for the surgery. It will be a one time thing and once it is done that will be the end of it.

I hope all will be well. Please let me know how she is doing.

Sincerest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: how would this be done? If all four paws are done at the same time how would she get about during recovery? She would still need to walk to do her business. I assumed it would be done a paw at a time so she was still mobile? That was what was worrying me, if it's a one operation shot that would be great.

Have it done with a lasar closure like we do cats. That will seal the nail beds and she should be mobile immediately because there will be no stitches:

http://www.petdr.com/declawdesc.htm