Jane Lefler, Behaviorist, Breeder, See Qual.
Experience:  18+ years Breeding Experience, Former vol. Vet Assistant, Dog Behaviorist

i have a 2 1/2yr old pit bull who is a house dog and very docile but sometimes when he sleeps he makes a long howling sound. why?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Jeanwood,

Most likely he is dreaming when he does this. It may even be triggered by another noise he is hearing such as a police car or fire truck. All of my dogs howl when they hear fire trucks even though they are miles away. Even the young puppies try and howl. I have one that will howl in her sleep like your dog does.

So it may be that he hears a sound that triggers it or that he is dreaming of howling or hearing other dog's howling and joins in. About the only thing you can do is call his name to wake him him. You don't want to touch a dog to wake them up in case it startles them, but calling their name usually works.

I hope this helps.