Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

What do feed a baby guinea pig 2 weeks old and has no ...

What do feed a baby guinea pig 2 weeks old and has no mother and how often are they fed?

It can be very difficult to save orphan guinea pigs, but since this one is already two weeks old, it should be a bit easier. First of all, milk isn't a suitable food. Cow's milk and the milks made to substitute for cat or dog milk are not digestible for guinea pig babies. There is no substitute milk that is close to guinea pig milk. Baby guinea pigs are capable of eating pellets and vegetables from birth because they are born so well-developed. The best substitute food for a baby guinea pig is Oxbow Critical Care. It's a specially formulated food that is mixed with water to form a slurry, which can be fed from a syringe.It's usually available from vets. You can also make your own slurry using crushed pellets and water. I'll give you a link to a site that will tell you how in a moment. Another good substitute is to use the rice cereal made for human infants. Mix with water according to the package directions and syringe-feed. Also make sure there are plenty of pellets, timothy hay, and greens available. By age two weeks, the baby should be eating quite a bit of solid food. If it isn't, then you'll need to hand feed it. It should be fed every two or three hours. These two sites have lots of more detailed information on raising baby guinea pigs:    

http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#pups

http://www.oginet.com/Cavies/cvbabs.htm

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you can nurse this little one to health.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)