Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience:  Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!
5408404

why does my dog have blood coming out of his penis

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Pet
Expert:  Mia Carter replied 6 years ago.
Hello there!

I'm sorry to hear your dog is unwell.

I noticed you're still online, so I thought I'd just let you know that I'm working on your question and I should have answer all typed up within about ten minutes, okay?

Until then!....

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience: Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mia Carter's Post: ok sounds good, we thought his foot was bleeding until we turned him over, I would say it has been like this for the last 48hrs, but we thought it was his foot and just found the other area tonight
Hi again!

Okay, there's a few things that could be going on. This is a case where I would visit the vet, as potentially serious conditions could be to blame for this, and we don't want to overlook something like that. And something like an infection will only get worse the longer he goes without antibiotics.

Blood could be from a urinary tract or bladder infection. This typically comes with a few other symptoms as well, such as frequent urination, straining, painful urination, odd posture while standing, painful abdomen and other abnormalities along that line. Normal treatment is antibiotics.

Trauma to the penis or abdomen could also cause internal bleeding, which leads to bloody discharge, so that's a possibility if he had something traumatic like a fall or whatnot occur in the past few days.

Another possibility is something like prostate disease. This is not going to be a situation if he's neutered. But if he's intact, it's a possibility. It's more common in older dogs.
Here's a bit more on that:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/prostate.html

Bladder stones also come to mind. Anything that seriously upsets the lining of the bladder can trigger bleeding. They can be dangerous too in that they can cause blockages in the urinary tract. So that's something you'll want to investigate as well. An exam can often detect these and there's other diagnostic methods that can lead to diagnosis as well. Some diseases, diets and medications make a pet more prone to this.
Here's a lbit more on that:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=400
http://www.lbah.com/canine/urolithiasis.htm

Tick-borne illnesses can also trigger blood in the urine. Does he spend a lot of time outside? Particularly in areas where there's tall grasses? That makes a dog more likely to get a tickborne illness, though even a normal walk in the park can lead to a tick bite as well.
I would be on the lookout for other signs of a tickborne illness like aches, poor appetite, fever, and general signs of illness.

And then there's the possibility of some type of tumor or growth. Some of benign, others malignant. And both can be seen in dogs of all ages. So if nothing else seems to be the case, this will likely be a route that will be investigated.

Also, here's a few things to monitor on your dog:

Temperature can be checked rectally with a bit of vaseline on the thermometer - this can give you an idea of general condition. It should be between 100.5-102.5. Anything below 100 or above 103 is a serious problem.

Checking the gums is an indicator of your dog's circulation. If there's internal bleeding, anemia, a disruption of normal blood flow, or serious illness, the gums will turn very pale, almost white in appearance. This means that the blood is not properly receiving oxygen or there's a loss of blood or red blood cells.

Normal gums will be bright pink to a pale pink. Abnormal gums are white with greyish, blue, or yellow.

Here is a link to a photo of normal gums:
http://www.petmed.co.nz/images/gum_healthy.jpg

Here is a link to a couple of photos of pale gums:
http://www.petplace.com/images-slide-show.aspx?id=3819&imageIndex=0
http://www.petplace.com/images-slide-show.aspx?id=728&imageIndex=0

I should note that I've seen perfectly healthy dogs with gums that are slightly paler than those pictured in the "normal gums" picture, but there's always a distinct pink tone.

For more information on checking your dog's gums, visit:
http://www.ehow.com/how_3028_check-gums-dog.html

The normal heart rate varies depending on the size and age of the dog. A puppy has a heart rate of about 180 beats per minute. And adult dog will have a rate between 60-160 beats per minute. Small toy breeds can have normal heart rates of 180 beats per minute. The rule is the younger the dog, the faster the heart rate (for puppies). And the smaller the dog, the faster the heart rate.

Normal pulse is between 60 and 120.

Also, you can check capillary refill time. If you apply firm pressure to the gums, the area should turn pale and then quickly return back to normal (you can try this on your own skin to see what I mean). If there's no difference, or if your dog's gums take a long time to return back to normal, there could be a problem. The gums should return to normal in no less than one second and no more than two 1/2 seconds.

I hope this gives you a bit more insight into your dog's illness! If you have any questions, just reply, okay?

I hope your dog is feeling better soon! Let me know how he does and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions!

****Please "ACCEPT" if my answer was helpful!****

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

**As experts, we are not compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"**
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mia Carter's Post: I don't have the money to take him to the Vet. any ideals, I have some antibiotics here. What could I do?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you going to answer us
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry you just lost your 100% positive feedback
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I choose not to accept being you walk out of the chat.
Hi there!

I apologize - I had to step away from my computer for a few minutes.

I have a couple of additional suggestions that you may find helpful, so let me type that up for you....

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Mia Carter's Post: ok we are still here
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
u still there

Okay....

I think this is a situation where there's little that can be done at home. Unfortunately, there is no way to diagnose him definitively at home, so even if we could treat him successfully, we would be grasping at straws on what exactly to treat him for. Only an exam - to feel for internal abnormalities like bladder stones or inflammation - and other diagnostic tests, such as a urinalysis will tell us for sure and only a vet can do that, unfortunately.

In the meantime, there are some things you can do to keep him comfortable. I would try to limit movement. Keep him created and quiet. Leash walks for bathroom breaks only. If it's due to trauma, the trauma will need time to heal. If there's swelling, you can try to reduce that a bit by applying cold compresses. We'll also want to try to keep him eating and drinking as much as possible so that his body has the resources necessary to heal. But aside from that, there's really not much we can do at home. An infection or bladder stones, if that's the case, won't go away on its own and there's no medication at home we can give to help with that, unfortunately. The antibiotics you have may help, but there's no guarantee because certain meds are designed to target certain types of infections. And it's a situation where if that is the case, it will only get worse and more expensive to treat as time progresses. And in the case of an infection or bladder stones, they will continue to get worse and worse until in the case of an infection, it spreads throughout his body and he will become septic and die. In the case of bladder stones, you can end up with an obstruction in the urinary tract, and in that case, he will be unable to urinate and he will die due to a build-up of toxins in his system.

So if you do decide to keep him at home and untreated, I would be looking for signs like elevated temperature, increased blood, a stop in urination or straining and stopping to eat and drink. Those are all signs that he's approaching the end.

Also, in terms of money, I understand that's a difficult situation. And while I really feel a vet visit would be strongly recommended, I know that you can't make money appear out of thing air. So, here are some things to consider:

Firstly, I would recommend discussing what you CAN afford with your vet. Sometimes, in the case of an injury, some care is better than no care at all, and certainly better than ignoring it or euthanasia. So if you had $50 to spend at the time, a good vet should work with you to make that money go as far as possible. In your case, this probably consists of anti-inflammatory medication (and I imagine you should be able to get an exam and meds for about $50). That would likely be a first approach and if that wasn't successful, they would likely perform an x-ray after the course of meds. It's no guarantee and it's not the same as going the full gamut, which may include xrays to get a good idea of exactly what's occurring, but it's usually better than nothing.

I would also call around to other clinics, as the cost from clinic to clinic for certain procedures can vary dramatically. You can ask what the fee is for an office visit - this will give you an idea of their pricing. I'm in the northeast of the U.S. and a reasonable fee is $35 here. In the south or midwest, I imagine it would be a bit less. Calling around can make a difference. For example, I had a dog with a cyst that had to be excised. One clinic quoted $800+ for the relatively simple and quick procedure. Another quoted $200 and they did a wonderful job. So that just goes to show how much it can vary.

Another option would be to contact an area humane society - like an ASPCA or the Animal Rescue League branch in your area (www.arl.org is the main site) - to ask if they know of any low-cost veterinary clinics. Often, larger humane organizations like the ARL run these clinics, or they can refer you to one in your area. Usually, they work with pet owners so that you pay what you can afford. The disadvantage is that there's usually little flexibility in terms of appointments, as these clinics are often open a few days of the week, so they're not ideal for emergencies. But it may just work well for your case.

Another option to consider would be approaching a veterinary teaching hospital at a university in your area. Teaching clinics often charge significantly less for equal services and you'll have some of the best minds in the field working on your pet.

Here's a list of some additional resources that can sometimes help in a time of need:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/

Angels 4 Animals
http://www.angels4animals.org/

Care Credit
http://www.carecredit.com/

God's Creatures Ministry
http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html

Help-A-Pet
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html

IMOM
http://www.imom.org/

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com/

United Animal Nations
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html

This list is for local and national help resources:
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

I hope your dog is feeling better soon! Let me know if you run into any additional questions, okay?

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

Another bit of advice that may help...

If you do decide to give him antibiotics that you have at home, he will be prone to upset stomach. So I'm typing up some hints on how to help with that.

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert
Out of curiosity, what type of medication do you have? I can look it up for you to tell you whether it's likely to have any impact...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your time, I will call around and see if I can get a lower office visit.
Okay, here's that advice to help keep him eating and limit stomach upset, now or in the future:

Dogs are more apt to eat "people" food when they're ill. Plain white rice and boiled hamburger, with the fat strained away, will work fine. Cottage cheese and plain boiled chicken with the skin removed can work too. Just start with a bite or two, and wait four hours. If she holds that down, give her two or three bites. Wait four more hours and continue the process untily you're at about 1/4 of her usual meal size. You have to start slowly with smaller amounts to limit upset to her system due to the unfamiliar food.

And feed her this bland food three or four times a day for three full days. You should see an improvement by then. On the fourth day, you can begin to feed her normal dog food. But don't do this changeover suddenly. Mix four parts of the bland food with about one part normal dog food. On the fifth day, mix three parts bland food to two parts dog food and continue at this rate until she's on all dog food.

If she's continually vomiting or just refuses to eat, you may have to let the stomach rest for 12-24 hours - no food during this time. Sometimes the belly is so upset, you have to wait for some of the inflammation and upset to abate before you can offer food. During that time, you'll want to give pancake syrup - one large spoon for a small dog like yours, every 4-6 hours. This helps keep the blood sugar up. You can rub the syrup on her gums if she won't lick it.
For more info on hypoglycemia, visit:
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/hypoglycemia.aspx

To determine how dehydrated she is, look at the skin. If you pinch the skin between the shoulder blades up into a "tent", ideally, it should flatten right out. The more dehydrated she is, the longer it will take the skin to return to normal. So I would monitor this several times a day to ensure that she's not getting worse. If she's really dehydrated, a vet visit is in order. You can also feel her gums. They should be slick and wet. If they're sticky and not slick, then that's a sign of dehydration, which can be really bad because it starts the organs shutting down.

To help combat dehydration, you can add some unflavored pedialyte to her water in a 50/50 mix - you can actually try that tonight if you have some on hand, as that will help get her hydrated as dogs commonly don't drink enough if they are feeling unwell. If she won't go for that, offer some chicken or beef broth (no onions in the ingredients - they're toxic), a clear soup like chicken soup, or water with a bullion cube, as this will give it an appealing flavor. Sports drinks and clear juices (no citrus - the citric acid is upsetting to the tummy) can also be given - they're not the first choice, certainly - but mixed 50-50 with water, they will work - but only if she won't drink any of the other things, try these. We want her to drink more than usual because her body will need extra fluids to fight off whatever is causing this.

Now, this is important: we can't let her drink large amounts at once if her system gets upset. Her system is upset and if she drinks too much at once, it will be even more upsetting. So let her have just a little bit at a time - every half-hour or so. Slowly, but surely is key here. It's a natural reaction for them to try to drink large amounts of water when they're dealing with a stomach upset, but it's counterproductive, as it just keeps the belly upset.

Just let me know if you have any additional questions, okay?

***Please ACCEPT if my answer was helpful!***

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

*As experts, we do not get compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"*

Hi again!

FYI, I will be stepping away from my computer for a couple of hours. I should be back online in about two hours - around 645 a.m. EST. So if you have any additional questions, I would be happy to tend to them at that time.

Good luck with your dog. I hope he's feeling better soon.

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert