Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My yorkie has two small bumps on his skin ...

My yorkie has two small "bumps" on his skin (area on his back) that feel like pimples. He''s had them for over a month- they started out soft but, now feel like they are coming to a head. You can''t see them, you can only feel them. And they won''t "pop" - Plese help I''m worried!
Thanks for the question.

What you are describing is most likely a sebaceous cyst, these are quite common dogs and I often found them when I was checking older dogs over during their routine vaccination appointments.

These are of no cause for concern and are better left, now and again they can cause a problem and get large or infected, but they can then easily be surgically excised. When I was a younger vet I used to operate on sebaceous cysts as a routine but I quickly came to the conclusion that they are better left because after surgery more just spring up.

Here is a link to a web page with more information on the subject :

But : I cannot be sure that these are sebaceous cysts without examining your dog and there are skin tumours which can be very serious. My advice therefor is to have them checked out by your vet, better safe than sorry.

If I can advise you further do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS